Professor: Ci-Ling Pan
Department of Physics and Institute of Photonics Technologies
National Tsing Hua University
101, Sec. 2, Kuang Fu Road, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
Tel / Fax: +886-3-5742275/+886-3-5723052
Male, Born in Taipei, Taiwan on July 27, 1949, Citizen of Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 1979, Ph.D.(Physics), Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
- 1975, M.S. (Physics), Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
- 1971, B.S. (Physics), Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan
Current Position and Relevant Experience:
- Current position：
- National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Tsing Hua Chair Professor, Department of Physics, 2/09 to date
- Employment History:
- National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Vice President, Office of Research & Development, 2/14 to 7/16
- Director, Operation Center for Industrial Collaboration , 2/14 to 7/16
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Physics, 8/11 to 1/14
- Director, Photonics Research Center, 8/09 to 7/14
- Professor, Department of Physics, 2/09 to date
Institute of Photonics Technologies, joint appointment)
- National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Chair, Department of Photonics, 8/04 to 7/06
- Chair, Inst. Electro-Opt. Eng., 8/92 to 7/95
- Prof., Inst. Electro-Opt. Eng., 08/88 to 1/09
- Assoc. Prof., Inst. Electro-Opt. Eng., 02/81 to 07/87
- National Science Council, Republic of China
- Coordinator, Optics & Photonics Program, 01/96 to 12/99
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N. T., Hong Kong
- Visiting Prof., Dept. of Electron. Engn., 1/08 to 6/08
- Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
- Guest Prof., Institute of Laser Engineering, 3/04 to 6/04
- University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
- Visiting Scholar, 02/86 to 01/87
- Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Chem. Dept., 08/79 through 01/81
- Marine Corps, Taiwan, ROC
- 2nd Lt. (Mandatory Military Service), 9/71 to 6/73
Professional Activities (partial list):
- Board of Directors, Physical Society of the R.O. C. (2010 to 2012)
- Board of Directors, Taiwan Photonics Society (2010 to 2013)
- Board of Directors, Opt. Eng. Soc. of the ROC (2001 to 2004)
- Board of Directors, Liquid Crystal Society (2006-2007)
- President, IEEE/LEOS Taipei Chapter (97 to 98)
- President, OSA Taiwan Chapter (2000 to 2001, inaugural president)
- Program Co-Chair, World Optics Congress (WOC’93); Program Chair, OPT’96, ACUP2010, General Chair, OPT’97, AP-THz 2007, General co-Chair, IPT2000, ACUP2010, ROC Centennial THz Symposium (2011), 2012 THz Workshop, 2013 Taiwan-Japan Workshop on Spectroscopy and Surface Science, Sub-Conference on Quantum Electronics, OPTIC 2013.
- Committee Member, LEOS (98-99), Photonics West (98-99, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13), NLO(96-02), CLEO-PR2003, THz2003, AP-NFO03, UP2004, UFO05, OWLS06, AP-MWP07; ODF’08; MOC’10, CLEO (11, 12); Member & Education Services Council, OSA (07 - 09); Member, 2008 Charles Townes Award Committee; Chair, 2009 Charles Townes Award Committee, OSA,. IUPAP Committee C17 (Quantum Electronics) (2011 to date).
- Traveling Lecturer, OSA (2008 to date).
- Special Issues Editor, J. Chinese Inst. EE, Aug. 97 and Aug. 2000 Opt. and Quantum Electron., Mar. 2000 Electronics Monthly, June 2013.
- Advisory Editorial Board, Nature Asia-Materials (2008 to date), AAPPS Bulletin. (2011 to 2013)
- Director of the Photonics Research Center, Natl. Tsing Hua Univ. (8/09 to date)
- Principal Investigator and Project Director of the Photonic and Optoelectronic Interdisciplinary Center, funded by the Academic Top University (ATU) program, Ministry of Education, (1/06-1/09) at NCTU – multidisciplinary program that melds the talents of individuals from the departments of Photonics, Electronic Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, and Electrophysics.
- PI, Photonic Science and Technology for the Tera-Era II 2004-2008 (NSC Program for Promoting Academic Excellence of University Project, Phase II, PPAEU)), research outcome selected for Science 50, one of the 50 across all disciplines (and only one in photonics) commemorating the 50th Anniversary of NSC.
- Bilateral project with Russian Academy of Sciences (2006-2009)
- PI of AFOSR project (2013-)
Fields of Specialty:
Ultrafast and Tunable Lasers; Ultrafast Optoelectronics; THz Science and Technology; Optical and Millimeter wave interactions; Fiber and Liquid Crystal Optics
Major Awards and Honors:
- NSC Outstanding Research Award, ‘90-‘92, ‘92-‘94, ‘94-‘96.
- Fellow, Photonic Society of Chinese Americans (PSC), 1998
- NSC Research Fellow, ‘96 –‘02.
- Merit NSC Research Fellow Award, 2002.
- University Chair Prof., National Chiao Tung University, 11/03 to 11/09
- Y. Z. Hsu Communication and Photonics Chair, 2003.
- Fellow, the Optical Society (OSA), 2004.
- Fellow, International Society of Optical Engineering. (SPIE), 2004.
- Academic Award, Ministry of Education, 2004.
- Engineering Medal, the Optical Engineering Society (ROCOES), 2004.
- Fellow, Physical Society of the Republic of China (PSROC), 2005
- Outstanding Engineering Professor of Chinese Institute of Engineers, 2006
- Pan Wan Yuen Research Excellence Award, 2007
- Chair, the Univ. Syst. of Taiwan (Concurrent appoint.), 1/09-12/11
- Tsing Hua Chair Professor, 2/09 to date.
- Fellow, American Physical Society (APS), 2009.
- Fellow, IEEE, 2012.
- Teco Award, 2012.
- Outstanding Scholarship Award, FAOS (2012-2015)
- Outstanding Alumni Award, Tunghai University (2013)
- Academian, Asia Pacific Academy of Materials (2013)
Prof. Pan has published 240
refereed journal papers to date, 18 invited talks in international
conferences (2008 to date), 15 Taiwan patents and 10 US patents. A full
list of publications is available online at
F. Ganikhanov, G. -R. Lin, W. -C. Chen, C. -S. Chang, and Ci-Ling Pan*,
“Subpicosecond carrier lifetimes in arsenic-ion-implanted GaAs,” Appl. Phys. Lett.,
vol. 67, No. 23, pp. 3465 - 3467, Dec. 4, 1995
(One of the first papers demonstrating the potential of GaAs:
As+ as an ultrafast photoconductor).
See also, Gong-Ru Lin, Wen-Chung Chen, Shyh-Chin Chao, C.-S. Chang, Kaung-Hsiung
Wu, T. M. Hsu, W. C. Lee, and , Ci-Ling Pan* “Material and
Ultrafast Optoelectronic Properties of Highly Resistive
Arsenic-ion-implanted GaAs,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 34,
No. 9, pp. 1740 - 1748, September, 1998.
Chi-Leun Wang and Ci-Ling Pan*, "Tunable Dual-wavelength Operation of a Diode Array
with an External Grating-loaded Cavity", Appl. phys. Lett. Vol. 64, No.
23, pp. 3089 - 3091, June 6, 1994 (Generic laser cavity design for
collinear, linearly polarized, tunable dual-wavelength output). See
also, Ci-Ling Pan and Chi-Luen Wang, “A novel tunable dual-wavelength external-cavity
laser diode array and its applications,” invited paper,
Optical and Quantum Electronics Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 1239 - 1257,
October 1996, U.S. Patent. 5,524,012.
T. R. Tsai, C. Y. Chen, C.-L. Pan*, R.-P. Pan and X.-C. Zhang, “THz Time-Domain
Spectroscopy Studies of the Optical Constants of the Nematic Liquid
Crystal 5CB,” Appl. Opt., Vol. 42, No. 13, pp. 2372-2376, May
2003 (The first THz-TDS studies of nematic liquid crystal and shows
that birefringence of NLC at THz frequencies is as large as that in the
visible, thus opening possibilities of applications of LC in THz
photonics). See also, Chan-Shan Yang, Chia-Jen Lin, Ru-Pin Pan*,
Christopher Que, Kohji Yamamoto, Masahiko Tani, and Ci-Ling Pan*,
“The Complex Refractive Indices of the Liquid Crystal Mixture E7 in the
THz Frequency Range,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 27, No. 9, pp. 1866-1873,
Ci-Ling Pan*, Jin-Yuen Zhang, Jung Y. Huang, and Chao-Kuei Lee,
A blue-light generating Femtosecond wavelength-tunable Non-collinear Optical
Parametric Amplifier,” US patent 7106498 B2, Sept. 12, 2006. (Femtosecond
laser pulses that are tunable from 380 to 460 nm are directly generated
the BBO OPA crystal, Taiwan patent I239128), see also Chao-Kuei Lee,
Jin-Yuan Zhang, J. Y. Huang and Ci-Ling Pan, “Generation of Femtosecond
Laser Pulses Tunable from 380 nm to 465 nm via Cascaded Nonlinear
Optical Mixing in a Noncollinear Optical Parametric Amplifier with a
Type-I Phase Matched BBO Crystal,” Optics Express, Vol. 11, No. 14, pp.
1702-1708, July 14 2003; Chao-Kuei Lee, Jin-Yuan Zhang, J. Y. Huang and
Ci-Ling Pan, “Theoretical and Experimental Studies of tunable UV/Blue
Femtosecond Pulses in a 405nm-pumped Type-I b-BBO
Non-collinear Optical Parametric Amplifier,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B,
Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 1494-1499, August 2004.
Chao-Yuan Chen, Cho-Fan Hsieh, Yea-Feng Lin, Ru-Pin Pan*, and Ci-Ling Pan*,
“Magnetically Tunable Room-Temperature 2P Liquid Crystal Terahertz Phase Shifter,”
Opt. Exp., Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 2625-2630 June 14, 2004
(The first room-temperature tunable 2p THz phase shifter).
See also Chao-Yuan Chen, Tsong-Ru Tsai, Ci-Ling Pan, and Ru-Pin
Pan, “Room Temperature Terahertz Phase Shifter Based on Magnetically
Controlled Birefringence in Liquid Crystals,” Appl. Phys. Lett.,
Vol. 83, No. 22, pp. 4497-4499, December 1, 2003.
Tze-An Liu, Masahiko Tani, and Makoto Nakajima, Ci-Ling Pan*,
“Ultrabroadband terahertz field detection by photoconductive antennas based on
multi-energy arsenic-ion-implanted GaAs and semi-insulating GaAs,”
Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, No. 7, pp. 1322-1324, August 18 2003. (broadest
reported to date for antennas fabricated on ion-implanted materials)
see also, Tze-An Liu, et al. “Ultrabroadband terahertz field
detection by photoconductive antennas based on proton-bombarded InP,”
Opt. Exp., Vol. 12, No.13, pp. 2954-2959, June 28, 2004.
Yi-Chao Wang, Jia-Min Shieh, Hsiao-Wen Zan and Ci-Ling Pan* “Near-infrared femtosecond
laser crystallized poly-Si thin film transistors,”
Opt. Exp., Vol. 15, No. 11, pp. 6981-6986, May 28, 2007
(Demonstrated potential application of ultrafast athermal annealing for TFT applications);
see also, Jia-Min Shieh, Zun-Hao Chen, Bau-Tong Dai, Yi-Chao Wang,
Alexei Zaitsev, and Ci-Ling Pan*, “Near-Infrared Femtosecond
Laser-induced Crystallization of Amorphous Silicon,” Appl. Phys. Lett.,
Volume 85, Issue 7, pp. 1232-1234, August 16, 2004.
W. –J. Chen*, H. –Z. Wang, R. –Y. Lin, C. –K. Lee, and C. –L. Pan,*
“Attosecond pulse synthesis and arbitrary waveform generation with cascaded harmonics of
an injection-seeded high-power Q-switched Nd:YAG laser,” Laser Phys.
Lett., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 212-218, 2012. (A simple and low-cost
approach to attosecond pulse synthesis and arbitrary waveform generation).
See also, Wei-Jan Chen, Jhi-Ming Hsieh, Shu Wei Huang, Hao-Yu Su, Chien-Jen
Lai, Tsung-Ta Tang, Chuan-Hsien Lin, Chao-Kuei Lee, Ru-Pin Pan, Ci-Ling
Pan, and A. H. Kung, “Sub-Single-Cycle Optical Pulse Train with
Constant Carrier Envelope Phase,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, art.
163906, April 25, 2008.
Yu-Tai Li, J.-W. Shi, C.-Y. Huang, N.-W. Chen, S.-H. Chen, J.-I. Chyi, Yi-Chao Wang, Chan-Shan Yang and
Ci-Ling Pan*, “Characterization and Comparison of GaAs/AlGaAs
Uni-Traveling Carrier and Separated-Transport-Recombination Photodiode
Based High-Power Sub-THz Photonic-Transmitters,”
IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 19-27, January 2010
(Progress towards radio-over-fiber wireless data transmission up to 20 Gbit/s at 0.1 THz).
See also, J.-W. Shi, C.-B. Huang, and Ci-Ling Pan*,
“Millimeter-wave Photonic Wireless Links for Very-High Data Rate
Communication,” invited review article,
NPG Asia Materials, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 41-48, April 2011
Alexey Zaytsev*, Chih-Hsuan Lin, Yi-Jing You, Chia-Chun Chung, Chi-Luen
Wang, and Ci-Ling Pan*, “Supercontinuum generation by noise-like
pulses transmitted through normally dispersive standard single-mode
fibers,” Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 13, pp. 16056-16062, July
1, 2013. (Novel fiber-laser-based approach to supercontinuum
generation) See also, A. K. Zaytsev*, C. H. Lin, Y. J. You, F. H.
Tsai, C. L. Wang and C. L. Pan*, “Controllable noise-like operation
regime in Yb:doped dispersion-mapped fiber ring laser,” Laser Phys.
Lett., Vol. 10, No. 4, art. 045104, April 2013.
Osamu Wada Ph.D.
Center for Collaborative Research and Technology Development (CREATE),
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan
Office : Room717
Tel : +886-3-5742042
Visiting Period: 2011.4 - 2011.7
Tsing-Hua Her Ph.D.
Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Physics and Optical Science, University of North Carolina at Charlotte,
9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223
Office : Room230
Tel : +886-3-5742548
Visiting Period: 2011.5 - 2011.8
Li Yan Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
University of Maryland, Baltimore County 1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250
Phone : 410-455-3558
Fax : 410-455-3969
Visiting Period: 2007.9 - 2008.1
Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Ananthapur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
B. Ed. :2004-2006
Physical Sciences & Mathematics Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Ananthapur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Physics & Photonics Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Physics Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Phone (lab) : +886-03-5715131-62575
1.Spectroscopy of lanthanide ions
3.Laser glasses fabrication
A Partial list of Students and
Postdoctoral Advisees over the years:
Chiang（蔣念祖）, M. S., 1983, was CEO of Radiantech Corp.,
currently CEO of Prime Fiber Optical Corporation.
Kuo（郭建成）, Ph.D., 1992, currently Associate Director,
Material and Electro-Optics Research Division, Chungshan
Institute of Science and Technology, Taoyung, Taiwan.
Chien（簡碧堯）, Ph.D., 1994, currently CEO, Asia Optical
(Hang Zhou) Co., Ltd., China.
Ganikhanov, Postdoctoral Fellow,1994-1996, currently
Assistant Prof., Dept. Physics, West Virginia University,
Morgantown, WV., USA.
Wang（王啟倫）, Ph.D., 1995, was Senior Vice President and
currently advisor of Leadlight Corp., leading manufacturer of
Green laser pointers.
Shieh（謝嘉民）, Ph.D., 1997, currently Senior Research
Scientist, National Nano Device Laboratories, Hsinchu, Taiwan
Lin（林恭如）, Ph.D., 1998, currently Professor, Dept. EE,
National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
Lee （李晁逵）, Ph.D., 2004, currently Assistant Prof.,
National Sun Yat-Sen University, Kaoshiung, Taiwan.
Lan（藍玉屏）, Ph.D., 2005, currently Associate Director,
Dimensional Measurement Laboratory, National Measurement
laboratory, Hsinchu, Taiwan (2006 Iizuka Prize for young
Chen（陳昭遠）, Ph.D., 2006, currently Senior Scientist, AU
Optronics, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
Hung（黃銘杰）, M.S., 2002, currently R&D Enginneer, 華信精密公司,
Department of Physics,
Phone (lab) : +886-03-5715131-42552
Email : JFWang0205@gmail.com
Thesis title abstract ：
低溫電漿輔助化學氣相沉積法成長富矽碳化矽薄膜之薄膜太陽能電池(Fabrication of Si-rich Silicon Carbide Film and Solar Cells by Low-Temperature Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition)
Current position :